Advent calendars are always fun to create during this holiday season. Today's advent calendar idea comes from Katie from California. See below for her instructions.
- White spray primer and spray paint
- 25 magnets (preferably silver and not black because black tends to leave scuff marks)
- Cookie sheet (non-Teflon)
- Assorted pieces (for daily magnet)
- Paper Trimmer and scissors
- Wet adhesive (i.e. Fabri-tac)
- Black pen, white pen, pencil
- Paper Piercer
- Sanding block
- White paint and small paintbrush
- Instant setter
- Wire cutter
Buying the cookie sheet: You just need an inexpensive cookie sheet. The dollar store has a great selection. You DON'T want a Teflon one because the magnets wont stick.
Painting the coolie sheet: You need to use spray primer and paint. I used a primer called American Accents - Oil based primer (made by Rust-Oleum) and then followed it up with American Accents Blossom White spray paint in a smooth satin finish.
**Note: It is important to spray the middle of the coolie sheet even though it will be covered with paper. It only needs the primer and it doesn't have to be a perfect coat. Your paper will stick to the metal better with the primer coat.
Preparing the cookie sheet: Sand the edges of the cookie sheet lightly to give a distressed look. Brush off any paint dust from sanding.
Preparing the background (2 sheets of vintage snowflake paper):Use a corner rounder to round the top two corners of one piece of paper and the bottom two corners of the other piece of paper.
- Use a get glue (i.e. Fabri-tac), glue down the vintage snowflake papers, being sure to adhere as close to the edge of the cookie sheet as possible. Rub the paper down so that the glue underneath disperses evenly.
- Glue down the red snowflake paper making sure the paper is centered (so the space above and below are even).
- Create a calendar template (or email jweston@makingmemories) for one. Leave a little border all the way around instead of cutting it right to the black line.
- Center the calendar paper in the middle of the red paper and adhere down.
- Glue two strips of white ric-rac on the border of the red and green paper.
- Arrange letter for the title. Distress edges for a vintage look.
Attach a wire hanger: Use your Instant Setter to punch two holes evenly apart on the outer edges of the cookie sheet. Thread a wire through, wrapping the ends up and around, trim any excess with wire cutters.