What I'm Thankful For Challenge - Family
This month we're working on a month long challenge. We're creating a "Thankful" mini album about all the things we're thankful for in our lives. I hope you're all playing along with us. Last week we created the album cover. And this week we'll create our first page to add to our "Thankful" album.
So this week's theme is family. I think we're all thankful for our families over anything else. I know my family is the most important thing in my life. Sure, my kids and my husband all drive me crazy on a daily basis. But that's what families do, right? As much as they annoy me to no end They add so much love and laughter to my life. I am so thankful for all that they've brought to my life. So of course my family is going to be the first page in my album.
I want to explain my idea behind this album before we start. I started out with the idea to do single pages. As much as I love the 6" x 9" size of these albums, I decided I wanted to add more photos to a lot of my pages. So I choose to make two-page spreads for each theme. I use my main page to highlight a great photo that really represents what I'm thankful for and that page also gets all the fun embellishments! Then my second page is used for adding smaller photos, photos that give you a little more insight into what I'm thankful for. Those second pages are super simple and really easy to add if you want they're really just pattern paper and photos. But you can also choose to just do the one page. Either way will look great in your album.
I used my Slot Punching Tool. I just love scalloped edges lately. So I used the crescent-shaped slot to make a scalloped border on my floral pattern paper. I found it was helpful to position the top of the crescent right at the top edge of my paper and just go right down that edge, that way they all lined up pretty straight. I also used the large slot punch to create a slot in my definition sticker to thread my ribbon through. I added a fun tag using the Tag Curler to secure the ribbon in place.
So you'll see that I have one strong focal photo on this page. Unfortunately we don't have a family photo of the 4 of us so I decided on a favorite photo I took of my girls last week. Then on the opposite page I added smaller photos of myself, my husband, and more of my two girls. If you had a larger family you could even add a few more pages if you wanted to fit everyone in! I kept my journaling short and sweet and to the point but feel free to add more journaling if you want.
- Cut brown pattern paper to 6" x 9" to use for base of page.
- Cut a 3" x 9" strip of turquoise pattern paper and mat with white cardstock. Adhere to page.
- Using Slot Punching Tool, punch scallops on the top of a 9" wide strip of yellow, floral pattern paper. Adhere to page.
- Adhere "family" sticker to white cardstock and cut out circle. Using Slot Punching Tool, punch out a large slot for ribbon to go through.
- Insert pink ribbon through notch in sticker and fold the ribbon over. Add a metal "together" tag using the MM tag curler.
- Add pop-dots to sticker and adhere sticker and ribbon to page.
- Add clear scroll to corner of photo and add heart mesh brads.
- Add a 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" photo to page.
- Add journaling strips.
Remember to share your layouts with us by uploading them to the MM idea gallery. I'll see you back here next Thursday as we create our "thankful for friends" challenge layout!