Christmas just wouldn’t be complete without Mom’s Rocky Road Fudge. She’s made this for the holidays for as long as I can remember. Now I make my own every year, to share with friends and neighbors (and to eat myself, of course)…but for some reason it always tastes better when Mom makes it, so I eat some of hers too! Seriously, this is the best fudge ever!
Mary’s Rocky Road Fudge
20 ounces milk chocolate, broken into pieces (we use regular Hershey’s bars)
1 - 12 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 2 cups)
1 cup butter (or margarine)
4 cups sugar
1 can (14.5 ounce) evaporated milk
2 ½ cups mini marshmallows AND 1 ½ cups frozen mini marshmallows
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pound walnut halves (4 ½ cups)
- Put first three ingredients (chocolates and butter) in large bowl and set aside
- Bring next three ingredients (sugar, evap milk, marshmallows) to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir to a light, but steady, boil for SEVEN minutes
- Remove mixture from heat (#2) and pour over mixture in bowl (#1)
- Stir with WOODEN SPOON until melted and well blended
- Continue to stir until candy loses it’s shine (yep, your arm will be aching by the time this step is complete – this is a good time to call in reinforcements!)
- Stir in last three ingredients (frozen marshmallows, vanilla, walnuts)
- Pour into a buttered jelly roll pan
- Refrigerate at least 1 ½ hours before cutting
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve
- Freezes well!
I hope you like this recipe. It's easy to make so if you haven't already made your holiday treats, you can give it a try. Here's a quick peek at the holiday card that I sent out with this treat.