Congratulations to Etta, Lauren Shaw, Marguerita, Diana and Jordan. They will be receiving MM’s new Wall Text.
We though we would share their favorite traditions.
- Ever since I was very young, my family's Thanksgiving tradition is to sit down after the big meal and watch the movie WHITE CHRISTMAS. This tradition officially kicks off the Christmas season and really gets us into the holiday spirit. I'm pretty sure my mom and I can quote every word in the entire movie. Of course, the men in the family pretend not to like this tradition, but we know they are just pretending!! - Etta
- Our ancestors bought property at a beach in South Africa long time ago and to this day the houses are all still in our extended family. Every year we all go down to the beach houses and celebrate Christmas there. My favorite tradition is going to church for Midnight mass with our family where we take up four full rows in church, and then on Christmas day to gather together almost 4 generations of families to prepare, cook and eventually celebrate Christmas together! - Lauren Shaw
- My favorite holiday of the year is coming up on December 5th: Sinterklaas! It's a Dutch tradition like your Santa but different. It's all about fun. We drew tickets with each others names on them and have to make them a 'surprise' with a gift inside and a poem/rhyme on the outside. This year I have my dad as my victim and he wants a memory stick (I guess we can all guess what I will make him: a stick and paint it and then use my MM foam stamps to stamp Memory on it. Of course the real gift will be hidden somewhere on it too). I love the fun, the preparations, the candy (perpenoten), the smell of the jute sack which holds all the gifts and the children’s songs and excitement! - Marguerita
- Three years ago a family in our community lost their father at the age of 30 to a rare cancer. The children at the time were only 4 and 7. The mother struggles financially and won't accept any form of charity. So every Christmas season I get together with a handful other Moms and we go shopping for them. We buy them clothes, toys, books, gift certificates for Safeway, Khols, Mervyns, and the local theater, and a few little things for the Mom. On Christmas Eve we make a full Christmas dinner and hire a Santa to bring it and the gifts to them. All of our kids are in on as well and have never told. This will be our third year and she has no clue who's doing it - it's so much fun) The fact that we can put a smile on their faces on Christmas is such an incredible feeling. I urge everyone to try it. Even though it's a new tradition it's totally my favorite. - Diana
- My favorite Christmas memory is walking into my grandparent’s home Christmas morning and the smell of fresh scones. My grandma's scones are the best, and with her homemade raspberry jelly, it was something the whole family waited for every year. Grandma and grandpa would always be wearing an apron, with flour on it. As grandpa served us our eggs, he would ask "how fresh are these eggs" and after over 20 years of this question, you would reply "so fresh the chick laid them on my plate". Now this will be the second Christmas without my grandparents, but we still make my grandmas recipe of her homemade scones, and you will here a few times "how fresh are these eggs?" I hope that that question, and the taste of Christmas scones are in my family forever! - Jordan
Congratulations to those who won. I sent you an email, so let me know your address so I can send your prize.